Introduction to Plant nursery business plan: A plant nursery is a place where it maintains the growth of all the plants until they attain a state where they can be transplanted and grown in the natural soil environment. It maintains all the types of plants where many of the industries, houses, farmers, etc. get plants from the plant nurseries in-order to plant them directly into the soil.
A step by step guide to Plant nursery business plan, cost, permission, and license
A successful nursery offers a range of young plants to their clients who buy the plants individually or in wholesale. The selection, quality, and size of the products produced by the nursery will depend on the demographics of their area. Usually, a nursery’s selection is also based on business relationships the owner has associated with chief landscaping businesses. Some nurseries will specify in trees, decoration plants such as bonsai, or water features and associated plant life. Some of the additional services which are often offered by some nurseries include hard scaping supplies, garden design, and mulch/soil delivery. you must have a proper business plan to setup a plant nursery for maximum profits.
Requirements to start your own plant nursery with business plan
Suitable land to start a plant nursery business
Before starting your plant nursery you must have land for planting plant the saplings. Some people think that plant nursery is possible on agricultural lands that are nutrient-rich, but it’s not always possible in present times. You can use moderate soil with ample water resources for this business and later augmented with the nutrients. The procedure to prepare nutrient-rich soil will be discussed later here in this post.
The decision on the selection of land is very crucial as it should be done wisely because in case you are planning for future expansion you must have a larger space. The area of your plant nursery must have excellent soil drainage and should be free from soil pathogens. As a beginner, it is recommended to start in your backyard itself if there is enough space available.
Types of soil media used in plant nursery
The soil needs to be fertile for the successful germination of seeds. In case, your land is not fertile for saplings growth one can opt for some methods. The plants must get proper nutrients, sufficient space for rooting, and adhesiveness in the soil for holding it.
You should not miss the Agarbatti Making Business Plan, Cost, License, Permission.
Make sure your nursery has enough black and red soil, compost, sand, sawdust, sphagnum moss, farmyard manure, peat moss, and vermiculite. The acidity of the soil must be maintained so while planting ensures the soil pH lies between 5.5-6.5. To buy all these constituents to make the soil nutrient-rich, you must purchase it online or you can also purchase the readymade soil directly.
Chemicals and fertilizers for plant nursery
To save your plants from infections from pests you should use some fungicides, pesticides, herbicides, insecticides, etc. These are available in the form of spray bottles typically and you can spray it all over the plants and must apply as directed on the product.To induce the growth of plants chemicals known as fertilizers are used. They help in healthy plant growth. Even organic manures are used for this purpose. These chemicals are readily available in online stores.
Plant nursery tools
The tools that you require for grafting, watering, and other activities related to planting are, scissors, watering cans, digging forks, crowbar, germination trays, grafting knives, grafting tape, pushcarts, spades, little storage units in case you are thinking to plant separately.
Kindly ensure tools are relevant, and you must not compromise on the quality which may lead to root and stem damage.
Machinery and equipment for eastablishing a plant nursery
Even we must have the machinery to cut downtime, reduce manpower, and make it more cost-effective. The equipment is needed for transporting, container filling, potting media filling, watering, etc.
Manpower requirement for plant nursery
Even though you use machines, some of the tasks need manual staff therefore plant nurseries should have people for labor-intensive actions. Activities like spraying pesticides, planting, irrigation, weeding, pruning, etc. need manpower. In case you are planning for expanding your plant nursery and growing, you must have employees for making the required things available, managing, marketing, etc.
Licenses and permission to start a plant nursery business
All business plans need some licenses and permissions from the legal organizations to start business. You must have the following permissions if you plan to initiate your own plant nursery business in India:
- Land permit- To start a commercial unit, you must have a land permission by the local authority of your city.
- Agriculture license- Since nursery plantation will be categorized under agriculturesector; you must have an agriculture license.
- You must have your nursery inspected by local government person.
- Permission for using electricity for commercial use is provided by the local authority in your city.
Documents required for plant nursery license
In case if you miss this: Starting a Gym Business, Permission, License, Loan.
- Form-I application for starting plant nursery business.
- Verification report will be given by the director of horticulture in Form – II
- The receipt of challan paid for Rs. 500/-
- LPO of Rs. 500/- as security deposit which should be taken as a DD in the favour of director of horticulture.
- Sketch map of plant nursery which has to be duly signed by the revenue inspector.
- Joint verification report from the concerned DDH along with thetahasildar of thelocality on the land document where you are planning to establish the nursery.
- NOC of the land authorities of the land along with theexecutive magistrate.
- Certificate of the DDH, verified the document andfound correct.
- Affidavit by the applicant which needs to be presented in the executive magistrate abiding tothe rules of Nursery act and licensingauthority or the director of the horticulture.
- Check whether the LPOs submitted are in the order of validity of LP.a.s that needsre-validation prior to issue of nursery licence.
- Xerox copy of the document or registration of sale deed signed by the land authority and dulyattested by the DDH concerned.
- The sketch map of the nursery describing the khata no. of the plot, plot no., area along with mother plant in plot area-wise, variety, kind along with the number of the plants.
- Passport size photographs 4 in number which should be attested.
- You should provide the correct contact number.
- Mention the name of the block of your nursery.
Marketing strategies and plan for plant nursery business
Similar to any other business, even plant nurseries must have some marketing strategies to flourish in the market at the initial stages. Following are the few options for spreading the nursery business to attract clients.
A newspaper advertisement though a conventional mode of marketing could be done by publishing your business in a local newspaper and spread about your nursery.
It is somewhat time consuming and needs hard work but is an effective way to reach people. This involves approaching nearby flower stores and various others who use plants and informing about your nursery. You can also offer various discounts in the starting days.
Creating a website
A website about your nursery will also add to marketing ideas and using WordPress creating a website in a low budget is very easy in the present times.
Social Media is the trending platform that will aid you spread your business. You can post about your nursey in Twitter, Facebook, and Instagramto spread the news.
Google my business
Google my business is a best way to add your business online. You may also like the Stationery Shop License and Permission, Cost.
Cost involved in starting a plant nursery business in India
The costs involved in starting a plant nursery business are separated into sets. Set A describes the one-time costs and Set B involves the costs for every month. These are described below-
Costs involved in land development is Rs. 60,000
Costs involved in preliminary works is Rs. 50,000
Costs involved in poly house construction is Rs. 7,50,000
Costs involved in water supply arrangements is Rs. 65,000
Costs involved in irrigation and fertigation systems is Rs. 65,000
Costs involved in construction of fencing is Rs. 50,000
Costs involved in construction of store room is Rs. 40,000
Costs involved in purchasing creeper and trailing rope is Rs. 20,000
Costs for fertilizers and manures is Rs. 20,000
Costs for micronutrients is Rs. 20,000
Costs involved for purchasing the plant protection chemicals is Rs. 5,000
Costs involved in packaging plants is Rs. 5,000
Costs involved in transportation charges is Rs. 10,000
Labour charges is Rs. 30,000
Miscellaneous charges is Rs. 10,000
Total costs involved in setting up a plant nursery business in India is (Set A+ Set B) – Rs. 1,200,000
Training centres to get trained for starting a plant nursery unit
There are many training centres to get trained for starting a nursery business unit. These include- Institute of horticulture technology, floriculture, where it offers many plant propagation courses where you can select based on the one which you wanted to start with.
Frequently asked questions to start a plant nursery business
The most frequently asked questions to start a plant nursery business are:
How can I start a plant nursery unit in India?
You can start the business by following all the things carefully and maintaining the good soil conditions. Growing the plants under well versed conditions and sells them to various merchants.
How much profits you can earn from plant nursery units?
You can earn more profits in the nursery but maintaining the unit is a bit tedious process. You can earn nearly Rs. 3 – 4 lakhs per year it also depends on the size of the unit.
Do we need a license to sell the plants?
Yes, you need to get a license for selling the plants as per the rules of Form I.
What are types of nurseries you can with the business?
There are three types of nurseries, which include wholesale, retail, and the mail-order.
What are the advantages of starting a nursery business?
There are many advantages in starting a nursery unit, these includes-
- It is easy to look after the ‘Baby seedlings’.
- It is easily for maintaining the growth i.e. germination as well as growth.
- This eliminates the problem of growth of difficult soils.
- Easy to control the weeds.
- You can find easy to manage the field costs.
- It is easy to improve the crop uniformity
- You can get the higher yields with minimum expenses spent, as the seeds costs very less and you can sell plantings for more value.
You may also like the Plant Nursery Project Report for Bank Loan.