How to Apply for FSSAI License for Food Business in India
The Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI) is the epic body responsible for setting food standards. To set the standard of the food FSSAI focusses on the quality of the food. Some tests are performed to inspect the quality of the food. If a particular food is qualified with all the tests regarding nutrient properties, smell, color, chemical composition, and shape. Then food gets approval to be sold in the market only.
A Guide on How to Apply FSSAI License for Food Business in India
Under the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006, FSSAI strives to control food’s adulteration and ensures the food is of good quality.
The Brief History of FSSAI
The full form of FSSAI is the Food Safety and Standard Authority of India. FSSAI was founded on August 5, 2008. The act was in form in 2006. FSSAI aims to sustain the quality of the food which is sold in the market for human consumption.
There are many regulations related to food in India. The laws were imposed after the establishment of FSSAI. Here, you can see some of the completed acts.
Food Fruit Product Order, 1955
Adulteration Act, 1954
Meat Food Products Order, 1973
Vegetable Oil Products (Control) Order, 1947
Food Oil Packaging (Regulation) Order, 1988
Milk and Milk Products Order, 1992
D -Ommed Mail and Edible Flour (Control) Order, 1967
Role of FSSAI
FSSAI was the initiative by the Government of India. The role of FSSAI is mentioned below.
Determining the guideline- One of the main roles of FSSAI is to formulate guidelines for the food items. The authority ensures that the food manufacturers and the restaurants abide by the guideline.
Certification- FSSAI certifies the foods that are developed as per the guidelines. They are also involved to certify the edible food.
Network establishment- FSSAI is having a strong network across the country so that will obtain quick information if any fallacy happens regarding food. They are even connected to the panchayats and consumers.
Training- FSSAI organizes training programs to the individual involved in food manufacturing. The training imparts essential information regarding the food business.
Importance of FSSAI
In case if you are interested in this: Profit In Dry Fruit Business In India.
The main objective of FSSAI is to regulate food marketing, sales, storage, supply, and manufacturing. The manufacturers must have to enroll their business under FSSAI before selling the food in the market. The manufacturers will be approved after their food passes all the tests that are being conducted in the FSSAI certified laboratories. There stringent guidelines under the Food Safety and Standard Act, 2006 about the quality of the food. Under the act, the FSSAI officials can file a criminal case to any person involved in the selling of adulterated food in the market.
Products under FSSAI
The food products which are categorized under FSSAI’s criteria are mentioned below.
- Dairy products
- Oil and fats
- Fruit and vegetables
- Grain products
- Meat products
- Salt and spices
Procedure for FSSAI Food License (State or Central)
Complete Filing of Application Form – B and related documents with their charges, as applicable. It generates a unique Application Reference Number will be generated.
Now, there are three possibilities:
- If FSSAI is contented with the application and the files submitted, the FBO can initiate its business operations.
- FSSAI could ask for more documents for submission or seek some other details missing in the application. After the submission, a unique application ID is provided. If no inspection is called for, the FBO may initiate operations after 60 days. In case an inspection is needed, it will be conducted and a report is issued. Then, the license will be provided when all the formalities are done within 60 days. In case the inspection report is not done, the FBO can start the business after 60 days.
- Even there is an improvement notice issued sometimes and a duration within which it has to be changed when specified. If the issue is not altered within that time, the application would be under suspension, and a different date will be provided with some penalty charges. If still the issue is not rectified, the application will get canceled. A fresh application can be filed after 90 days only thereafter.
Supporting Documents for FSSAI License for Food Business
Below are the documents needed to be submitted for the FSSAI Food License or Registration:
Basic Documents necessary for all types of FSSAI Registrations:
The documents that all Food Business Operators (FBOs) must submit are stated below, if you are applying for Basic Registration, State License, or Central License:
- Form A or Form B (Form – A for Basic FSSAI Registration & Form – B for State or Central FSSAI Registration) – signed and filled,
- 2 Passport Sized Latest Photographs,
- PAN Card associated with Business Owner/Proprietor/Partner/Director,
- Evidence of Possession of the Premises (Property Papers-when property is owned, utility bills (electricity or water) or Rent Agreement – if the property is on rent),
- Partnership Deed,
- Certificate of Incorporation or Articles of Association (AoA) for a company,
- A complete list of food items for which the business is done,
- An FSMS (Food Safety Management System) plan (applicable for FSSAI State or Central Food License only).
Documents for State Food Business FSSAI License:
Below are the necessary documents which are needed to support the application, other than the previously stated ones:
- A filled signed Form – B,
- Information about the Owner/Proprietor/Partners/Directors along with the Photo ID, Address Proofs, and Photographs,
- The estimated layout of the location, and the planned positioning of the equipment,
- Possession evidence of that building/premises,
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the owners along with some details, like name & address,
- A copy of the License that is obtained from the Manufacturers of the Equipment,
- List and Details of the Equipment that is previously installed or desired to be installed at the premises,
- All Food Products and their categories which are planned to be manufactured
- The System for Food Safety Management (FSMS).
Documents for Central Food Business FSSAI License
Apart from the above listed common documents, you should have some other documents as mentioned below:
- A duly filled and signed Form – B,
- Details of the Owner/Proprietor, Partners or Directors along with their Photo ID, Photographs and Address Proofs,
- Proof of Annual Turnover,
- The layout of the proposed location, and the planned installation and position of the equipment,
- Evidence of Possession for the office block/premises,
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the owners, and some other information, such as name & address,
- A document that authorizes the License from the Manufacturers of the Machinery & Equipment,
- List and Details of the equipment which are installed already or projected to be installed at the location,
- All the Food Products and/or categories that are desired for production,
- Planned Food Safety Management System (FSMS),
- Water Report Analysis from an accredited Laboratory,
- Source of obtaining the Milk, Meat & its processing unit,
- NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the Local Authority,
- If the FBO is involved in Mineral or Carbonated water, then Pesticide Residual Report should be given by a Government Accredited Laboratory,
- Import-Export Code (IEC), if planned for exporting
- Certificate from the Ministry of Tourism, if needed
- Proof of Turnover for Vehicles, if required to the line of business,
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) from FSSAI.
Rejection of FSSAI License
FSSAI has the power to cancel the approved license. The license is canceled when you fail to provide the quality you have promised and your food does not qualify all the tests. Therefore, to sustain the license, the owner of a food business must follow all the guidelines stated by FSSAI.
The official website for more information is : FSSAI.