How to start Grape Wine Making Business
Grapes Wine Manufacturing is the most famous and quickly growing manufacturing industry. Grape wine is the fermented grapes juice that has 13 to 30% of alcohol present in it, sugar and acid are used as a component to create a well-fermented wine. The awareness of the benefits of wine as compared to any other hard drink is also one of the significant aspects of the growing demand for wine. In the years 2008 and 2009, the wine industry had a huge growth of $30 billion in the domestic and international market. Let’s get into the details of Grape Wine Making business in India
A step-by-step guide to Grape Wine Making Business in India
Market potential for starting a Grape Wine Making Business
India is having the largest production and market demand for grapes wine; hence the market is growing rapidly, there are greater than 200 wine labels that are now available in Mumbai alone.
Nowadays consumers can purchase good quality wine from the market, apart from this online selling the market even provides the customers to get the wine at their home.
Not only in India the demand for grape wine is scattering all over the world, because of the affordable price and fine quality, but the consumption of wine is also almost 15 million liters this year.
The maximum demand for grape wine is from the following the mentioned regions; New Delhi, Pune, Goa, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, and Bangalore, which is almost 80% of the total consumption. There market demand for Grapes Wine manufacturing is increasing, thus, the grape wine business is having a great prospect.
Registration, license, and permission required to start a Grapes Wine Making Business in India
The Grapes Wine making business requires lots of permissions and registrations from government organizations.
It is recommended to check all the rules and guidelines that are laid by the specific state government.
1) Registration of Firm: You may begin a Grape winemaking business either as a Proprietorship company or a Partnership Firm. If you are starting this business as One Person Company, then you must register your firm as a proprietorship.
For Partnership the operation, you have should apply as a limited liability partnership (LLP) or
Pvt. Ltd. Company with Registrar of Companies (ROC).
2) Alcohol permit: The grape wine is classified under alcohol Production Company; thus, you must get the permit to produce alcohol.
3) FPO and PFA Act: You have to apply for the Preservation of Food Adulteration Act-PFA Act and FPO- fruit product order which is obligatory for all fruit processing industries, which will you obtain from the state government.
4) NAFDAC Identification Number: The product should go through some basic standardization testing and get a National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control- NAFDAC identification number.
5) GST Registration: Obtain GST number (this is mandatory for all businesses after the GST rule), tax identification number, and even the insurance certificate.
6) Trade License: Acquire the Trade License from local authorities.
7) MSME/SSI Registration: MSME/SSI Registration will help you to avail of government schemes and provisions.
8) ESI Registration: Employees state insurance that is an essential insurance scheme for staff.
9) EPF Registration: Employees provident fund is mandatory for the business if you keep more than 20 employees.
10) Trade Mark: Register your brand name with the trademark that will safeguard your brand.
11) Food Safety and Standard Authority of India (FSSAI): It is classified under the Food Industry so you must get clearance and certification from FSSAI.
12) IEC code: If you are thinking to expand and export the wine to other countries then you must acquire an IEC code is essential; for the export of any products in any business.
Additionally, apply for BIS certificate for ISI mark.
Area required to start a Grape Wine Making Business
Grape wine production requires a large place which is about 10000 sq. ft.; and selecting land for the wine is a very crucial point. It’s very easy if you can start the vineyard at your old estate property, but what if the soil is not appropriate to grow grapes also the climatic changes which will affect the wine quality, so you need to understand all conditions regarding wine production area.
- Apart from that, a fixed asset having with large storage facility is needed, also demand laboratory where you can have the testing works.
- It is important to get the soil tested by the experts who grow grapes; also you need to know about the climatic changes of that place.
- Suitable weather for grapes production is warm summer and moderate winter with plenty of sunlight.
- If you are not having assurance and not able to select land then it is prudent to get the decision from professional experts before capitalizing on land or area from grape wine production.
Raw Material for Grape Wine Making Business
Once you have decided about the ideal location for the vineyard you have to choose the fine quality of raw material because the quality of the wine is crucial and based on the raw material you use.
- The main raw material for grape wine is, of course, grapes but you should get other important raw materials which are tannins, and sugar.
- Overall three main species of grape crops are common, they are Vitis vinifera, used in almost 90% of all the wine units.
- The rest of the grapes species are Chardonnay, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Pinot Noir.
- You can have Vitis labrusca, which is common in the US and Canada, which tastes sweet and used in dessert wine as well.
Lists of machinery required to start a Grape Wine Making Business
- 10 Profitable Disposable-Based Business Ideas: Low-cost and Low-Investment
- 10 Profitable Solar-Based Business Ideas: Low-cost and Low-Investment
- 7 Profitable Biodegradable-Based Business Ideas: Low-cost and Low-Investment Manufacturing Businesses
- 10 Profitable Insurance-Based Business Ideas: Low-cost and Low-Investment
- 10 Profitable Construction-Based Business Ideas: Low-cost and Low-investment Businesses
- 10 Profitable Manufacturing-Based Business Ideas: Low-cost and Low-investment Businesses
- 9 Profitable Glass Based Business Ideas: Low-cost and Low-investment Manufacturing Businesses
- 9 Profitable Lemongrass-Based Business Ideas: Low-cost and Low-investment Manufacturing Businesses
- 9 Profitable Spirulina-Based Business Ideas: Low-cost and Low-investment Manufacturing Businesses
The Machinery essential for wine production is
- Automatic Bottle filling and Crown corking
- Bottle Pasteurization Tunnel
- Empty CO2 Cylinder
- Fermented (SS) along with cooling and heating systems
- Filter Press Complete with gear pump size 8×6 ft cap
- Hydraulic Press (Rack & Cloth Type) Cap. 5 Tones pressure, 2 racks, and 2 Trays
- Maturity Tanks/Oakwood
- Screw Type Juice extractor
- Semiautomatic Bottle
- Washing Plant
- Semiautomatic Labeling
- Steam Pan Tanks
- Washing Tanks (Steel) with jet washing system
- Water Storage Tank Cap
- Yeast Culture Room
- Equipment needful for the wine production has been stated down
- Weighing scales
- Wooden working tables
Step by step process for Grape Wine Making Business
Grapes Wine manufacturing is there for years; winemaking is not only an art but also a science.
- Harvesting: Harvesting is the primary and significant step in winemaking. Grapes are the only fruit containing acids, esters, and tannins (the ingredient which renders bitterness and astringency to the wine) which is important for natural wine. Harvesting is done either manually or mechanically but most winemakers choose the manual way because mechanical harvesting is difficult on the grapes. Once grapes are harvested from the vineyard they are sorted.
- Crushing: For many years the grapes were crushed using the feet but presently vine makers use the machinery for crushing step. All the selected grapes are sent to the crusher where the crusher plays an important role to crush the grapes and transfer to the die- juicer.
- The juicer will remove the pulp from the juice and the impurities formed during the crushing process are sent for using them as manure. Now the juice is ready for the fermentation stage.
- One method is to press the grapes is to use a blander presser. Blander presser a large cylindrical vessel that contains bags that are inflated and deflated many times. Due to this process, the grapes are squeezed till all the juice is removed. You can remove the solid form by centrifugal process.
- For White Wine Manufacturing, the owner will immediately crush and press the grapes and separate the juice from the seeds, skins, and solids. This is to avoid unwanted color and tannins from leaching into the wine.
- Red Wine Manufacturing is exactly different from the white winemaking process where grape juice is kept in contact with the skins to obtain flavor, color, and extra tannins.
- Fermentation: In the next stage, that is the fermentation process, the juice is chilled in stainless steel containers or oak barrels. Then the yeast is inoculated into the oak barrels or stainless steel vessels or with chilled juice for the Fermentation process. This is known as the primary fermentation of wine, Fermentation continues up to the sugar content of grapes are converted into alcohol which is carried out for 2 months. To make sweet wine, they will inhibit the process before all sugar gets transformed into alcohol.
- Clarifications/Maturation: Clarification or Maturation is the step in which solids such as tannins, dead yeast cells, and proteins are separated from the vessel. Store the first fermented wine by transferring further in stainless steel tanks or oak barrels in about 1.5 to 2 months for the next step that is maturation or clarification.
- Testing: Once the maturation process is done wine is ready, so it is time for testing of the wine stability. Then it is filtered to check the leftover fine particles.
- Aging or Bottling: Finally after taking the test vine maker has two choices whether the wine is kept for additional aging or can be packed into bottles. Additional aging will give a smoother, rounder, and further flavored wine. When wine gets exposed to oxygen, it caused additional aging, thereby decreasing tannin and helps the wine reaches its threshold fruitiness. One can pack the wine in the bottle; bottles that are thoroughly cleaned with filtered water to remove microbes and germs.
How to sell your Grapes Wine
After production, you need to cope up with the distribution of wine, so must focus on the retailing segment. Moreover, other different marketing opportunities are even possible; you can make your brand and promote it using the marketing ideas.
- Local market (retail market)
- You can sell your grape wine through the local retailers and tell them to spread about your brand to the customers which will help you to establish a client’s base.
- Wholesale market
- You can sell your wine to the wholesale market for the bulk amount.
Online marketing ideas to sell your Grape Wine
- B2B Websites: It is essential to register your business on B2B websites such as Alibaba, Tradeindia, Exporters India, Indiamart, etc. so that you may obtain profits through bulk orders.
- B2C Websites: You can think of registering your business on B2C websites for example Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, Bigbasket, etc. where you can sell your product directly to the customer.
Export market of Grape Wine Business
The demand for grape wine is great in the international market, hence, you can export the grape wine, and for exporting grapes wine manufacturing you must acquire the IEC code.
That’s all folks about Grape Wine Making Business in India. In case if you miss this: Seed Processing Business In India.