Introduction on How to Start a Protein Bar Making Business
Protein bars are prevalent among health enthusiasts, athletes, people too busy to have a proper meal, and those thinking of a healthy option to the mid-afternoon chocolate break. There are several protein bars – meal replacement bars, energy bars – they comprise different amounts of protein, fats, and carbohydrates. Because customers seek variety from time to time, there is still plenty of room for new protein bars in all regions, especially in niche areas, such as gluten-free, organic, and even kosher.
A step-by-step guide to starting a Protein Bar making business
The market potential for Protein Bar making business
Determine what type of protein bar is having more demand in your area. For example, find out if there is a market for specialty items, such as gluten-free or vegan bars. You may also focus on a segment of the market that is developing, or that tends to invest money on similar types of items. If you have a special choice such as swimming, you may want to design a protein bar that appeals specifically to that crowd. For example, waterproof packaging for consuming poolside.
Business plan for making Protein Bar
Develop a recipe. You may in the long run expand your line to many different types of the protein bar over time, but while beginning you will require at least one recipe. Once you have determined what market you would like to target, you can plan a protein bar recipe to match that market. Decide what supplements you will include in your bar, such as protein powder along with vitamins. Depending on how many bars you are producing, you may also need a commercial kitchen.
License, registrations, and permissions required to start Protein Bar making business in India
Take care of health, labeling, and nutritional guidelines so that you are complying with FSSAI guidelines. Based on what region you live in, there may also be state health and food preparation regulations to follow. Your kitchen could be inspected by the local health and safety associated with authorized personnel. Establish your company with all required legal requirements, according to the laws of your state and national guidelines, and register as a corporation in compliance with the Internal Revenue Service and your state’s tax office.
Below is the list of licenses required before starting the Protein Bar making business in India: Registration of firm, GST registration, Trade license, Pollution certificate, MSME/SSI registration, EPI and ESI registrations, Trademark, FSSAI registration, IEC code, FPO act.
- Business Entity: The first registration for any business is to register it as a business entity by knowing about the form of the organization. It could be as a sole proprietorship or a partnership or a limited liability partnership or a one-person company. This will help in availing a few benefits to the business and must, therefore, be selected carefully before registering the business at the Registrar’s office.
- FSSAI registration: A Protein Bar is classified as the processing of food or food products and thus as per the definition requires an FSSAI registration. Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is meant for protecting and promoting public health by regulation and supervision of food safety hence FSSAI is a mandatory registration/license for the business. The FSSAI registration process is entirely online and quite easy to follow, once the documents are ready.
- Shop Act or Trade License: A Protein Bar business for example in Maharashtra, India requires applying for a Shop Act License from the local municipal authority to run the business. This license helps manage the working conditions along with working hours, leaves, wages, holidays, etc. of the employees and supports the business to run smoothly.
- Udyog Aadhaar Registration: A Protein Bar is categorized as a small business and hence it must be registered under Udyog Aadhaar which is a registration and recognition for MSMEs- micro, small, and medium enterprises.
- GST Registration: Every business, including the Protein Bar, should associate with taxes at some point and for monitoring a single uniform taxation structure, the business should get a common GST number which stands for Goods and Service Tax.
- BIS certification: Apart from these registrations the business should get BIS certification as well as tax liabilities.
- No Objection Certificate from State Pollution Control Board: A Protein Bar doesn’t cause any pollution so no clearance is needed, however, it is recommended to check it with the State Pollution Control Board of the locality where the business is established.
Ingredients required to start Protein Bar making business
You must purchase your ingredients in bulk to reduce money and keep in mind you have enough supplies to get the item in the appropriate quantity. You must take care that the suppliers can meet any demand you expect from time to time.
Packaging your Protein Bar
Develop packaging and marketing materials. You could appoint a professional designer to create your packaging, logo, and marketing things. You will also require sales material, such as a poster or flier, giving all of the essential nutritional information and key sales aspects.
Investment required to start Protein Bar making business
- Ultimate Guide to Starting a Home-Based Advertising Agency Business
- Starting a Nail Salon Near Your Location: Check List, Business Plan, Licensing, and Opening Instructions
- Construction Company Name Ideas: Guide to Create New Construction Company Names
- 8 Best Small Businesses to Start in Hyderabad: Low-Cost and Profitable
- 10 Best Small Businesses to Start in Massachusetts: Low-Cost and Profitable
- 10 Best Small Businesses to Start in Maryland: Low-Investment and Profitable
If you are choosing any small-scale business in Protein Bar production then you must pay for raw materials specifically milk and other things such as packaging material and other things. If you are inaugurating a small-scale business then employees’ remuneration is also essential. The capital for small scale Protein Bar production business is Rs. 1 lakh. Additionally, on a large scale basis, the equipment can be around 5 lakh rupees. The cost of raw material could be about Rs. 50,000. Therefore, the entire cost could be estimated at 1-1.5 lakh rupees.
For beginning the business, you must plan for the budget. You may charge around 30 to 50 rupees per 25 grams packet in the market. Not only this, but you can also directly contact and have a network with restaurants, hotels, gyms, and other healthcare centers.
Profit margin in Protein Bar making business in India
Because of the high demand, the profit margin in Protein Bar making business is high. One can gain up to 2000 rupees every day. The profit margin in the Protein Bar production business is much more for wholesale dealers. If you carefully follow the above-mentioned steps you can earn income through the Protein Bar production business though you have spent less capital.
In case if you miss this: Desi Cow Milk Business In India.
Marketing strategies for promoting your Protein Bar
As the Protein Bar is an FMCG product, it must have extensive advertising and product promotion methodology. And it is recommended to have an organized marketing team. Select a trendy and memorable name for your product. Prepare the label properly. Advertisements in the electronic media and FM channels are very essential in promoting this type of item. In addition to that, try to keep your product in retail stores as much as possible in your area. Supermarkets and malls are also the best choices for selling the product.
You may desire to sell your products especially online, or you may plan to begin by selling them to health clubs or local retailers. Alternatively, you may plan and associate to gain a distribution deal with a larger, national chain. Smaller stores may be interested to carry your bars for a special offer.
How to sell your product?
You can sell your product by registering it online on B2B websites and B2C websites. You can even spread some samples in the nearby vegetable stores, restaurants, supermarkets, or in the wholesale markets where your product gets well purchased. Try new ideas in the starting and just concentrate on promoting your business. Later your business will be raised depending upon the quality you provide to the customers.
How to gain popularity for your Protein Bar?
Initiate by giving away free samples to your proposed market. You can also try to support local sports teams, or try to gain a sports magazine to write up your products and company. Pick an advertising strategy based on your budget. If you have budget constraints, place ads in local papers or use gorilla marketing strategies, such as placing attractive ads in high footfall areas of your city.